The Chair and Thinkstep offer courses on sustainability using Life Cycle Analysis with the GaBi program
The UNESCO Chair in Life Cycle and Climate Change ESCI-UPF and Thinkstep offer a series of three courses on sustainability concepts, Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) methodology and use of the GaBi software. The courses are independent of each other, ranging from an introductory and theoretical level on the sustainability and methodology of the LCA to an intermediate training in the use of GaBi. The courses will be held on 17, 18 and 19 May at ESCI-UPF, the seat of the Chair, and will have a number of 4 to 12 participants.
For leaders in the market, incorporating the concept of sustainability into product design and assessing the ecological footprint of the product through the LCA methodology is an added value. According to a research carried by IRRCi, revenue from sustainable products or services grows up to six times faster than "normal" equivalents, as costs are reduced and risk is minimized, as well as the value of the brand.
For its part, GaBi is a tool designed to perform complete studies of Life Cycle Analysis (ACV), Water and Carbon Footprint, Life Cycle Analysis (ACC) or Environmental Product Declarations (DAP), among other applications. Developed by Thinkstep, it now contains the largest LCA database on the market (about 10,000 Life Cycle inventories). The company combines the development of the software with that of its associated database, ensuring the consistency of models and data.
This course offers the perfect combination of theory and practice in a friendly and collaborative environment of exchange of ideas and experiences with the other participants. It is open to professionals with an interest in product sustainability and Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) methodology: researchers and development experts, product managers, environmental engineers, innovation managers and academics with no or little experience within the concept and method of LCA.
The objectives are:
- To use the LCA methodology to achieve business objectives.
- To communicate the commercial value of the concept of sustainability and the analysis of the life cycle.
- To have a sound understanding of the LCA methodology - to evaluate the environmental impact of a product throughout its life cycle, including the production phase, its use and final treatment.
- To understand the steps in the process to successfully complete a LCA (definition of scope and scope, life cycle inventory analysis, data collection and quality control, life cycle impact assessment, interpretation of results, reporting and Independent verification process).
This session, aimed at new or potential users of the GaBi tool, is designed to introduce them to some of the main features and functions of GaBi, quickly and efficiently learning its capabilities, functions and shortcuts. Participants will create GaBi models using some data as an example and then analyze the results through a variety of GaBi applications.
The main objectives are:
- To learn how to use the capabilities of GaBi software and its extensive databases to improve the performance of products from the point of view of sustainability.
- Create a step-by-step model in GaBi under the guidance of an experienced GaBi trainer.
- Learn useful modeling tips and tricks to save time and effort and improve the results of your work.
- Exchange ideas and experiences with a growing group of GaBi users.
This session is aimed at improving GaBi users' skills. In it, you will learn how to evaluate more complex products, run scenarios analysis and build reporting tools that can be integrated into product design processes to support business decision making instantly.
The keys to the training are:
- Obatining the necessary information when making decisions about the datasets to be used, evaluating their quality using the GaBi databases and their documentation sections.
- Creating scenarios for a more detailed analysis, generating parameters at the process level and using the functionality of the parameter browser.
- Modeling recycling cycles and possible credits that appear in the system.
- Optimizing the use of your LCA results, for example by generating your own dashboards, using clusters, analysis of possible deficiencies or weaknesses, etc.
- Managing LCA work.
The three sessions will be taught in Spanish, although the material will be in English. Once completed, all participants will receive an official certificate of attendance to the course. The sessions are independent of each other, one, two or three can be taken, depending on the student's previous knowledge and needs. It is not advisable, however, to take the courses of GaBi without any previous knowledge on methodology of LCA.